By Lady Jean L. Kabagani

ILIGAN CITY, April 30 (PIA ICCC) – Funding support from local and foreign sources has enabled the Philippine government to fast track the rehabilitation of Marawi City as well as the recovery of its residents.

About P67.99 billion is said to be the “estimated required cost” for Marawi’s rehabilitation.

The financial report published by the Department of Finance (DOF) disclosed that the government had already raised P41.81 billion in pledges. Of this, P6.64 billion came from various forms of humanitarian assistance from multilateral and bilateral partners during the early stages of the recovery program for Marawi while P35.17 billion will be sourced from the Philippines’ development partners, which have offered concessional loans and grants during the pledging session for the Bangon Marawi Comprehensive Recovery and Rehabilitation Program (BMCRRP).

The government through the Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) is now fast-tracking the planning and preparatory stages to rehabilitate the war-torn city.

According to DOF Assistant Secretary and spokesperson Antonio Joselito Lambino II, the government has already released a total of P12.4 billion to aid the rehabilitation and reconstruction of Marawi City.

Around P10.9 billion was provided to fund relief and livelihood assistance, as well as the construction of transitional shelters and evacuation centers for displaced families. A remaining P1.5 billion from the President’s Social Fund was released to the National Housing Authority (NHA) to help fund these rehabilitation efforts.

Also, Lambino said foreign institutions have carried out programs such as cash transfers, given grants and donated equipment for the reconstruction effort Marawi and the revival of Maranao’s livelihood.

“A city as damaged as Marawi requires a long-term rehabilitation program. With some development partners, the project preparation alone may last up to three years from the project conception to the start of the construction or implementation. We are moving faster than business-as-usual,” Lambino maintained.

He added the government continues to thank all its international development partners and countries that have supported our relief operations, contributed humanitarian grant assistance, and pledged support for the Marawi rehabilitation and recovery program.

Meanwhile, the TFBM continues to transfer the displaced families from evacuation centers to transitory shelters which were built by the government.

Recently, about 556 families are now occupying the temporary houses at Barangay Boganga Transitory Site and have availed of livelihood projects and skills training programs undertaken by the member-agencies of the TFBM’s Subcommittee on Business and Livelihood with the support of other humanitarian organizations.

Nine hundred forty-four of transitory shelters are currently under construction to complete the 1,500 house units allocated to the displaced residents currently staying at the evacuation centers.

The government has already built 1,052 transitory shelters in Barangay Sagonsongan Transitional Site.

Another 1,000 temporary shelters are going to be built in Barangay Rorogagus.

TFBM Chairperson and housing czar Secretary Eduardo del Rosario reiterated the call of the President: “We will let the Marawi rise as a prosperous city again.”

TFBM also vows to continue serving the displaced persons in Marawi until they get back in their feet. (LJKabagani/PIA ICCC)