By Claire Gigje

MARAWI CITY, Lanao del Sur PIA)–The government now sees the nearing recovery of Marawi City with its rehabilitation noted to be on track.

Task Force Bangon Marawi (TFBM) Chairperson Eduardo Del Rosario reported during the Talk to the People with President Rodrigo Roa Duterte Friday, October 1, that various projects under its restoration efforts were already completed despite the bad weather and challenges brought about by the coronavirus disease (COVID)-19 health crisis.

Among the accomplishments inside the ground zero were the repair of Masjid Disomangcop, Masjid Darussalam, White Mosque and Marinaut Mosque, construction of maritime outpost and barangay complexes in Barangays Tolali, Datu Naga, Datu sa Dansalan, Moncado Kadingilan and West Marinaut, and rehabilitation of Mapandi and Banggolo bridges.

Outside the battle area, the construction of different projects was already completed such as the Philippine National Police Communication Police Assistance Center (PNP COMPAC) 1, Marawi City Fire Substation, Central Material Recovery Facility, 18.97-kilometer Marawi Transcentral Roads, the road connecting Pantar, Lanao del Norte and Marawi City, Maul Lumbaca Ingud Ranaranao road, Lilod Guimba Bridge, 1.5-linear meter MSU perimeter fence phase, Rorogagus East Barangay Health Station, Corn Processing Facility, five-unit abaca nursery, two classrooms in Bayabao Central Elementary School, and three classrooms in Butig National High School.

Del Rosario, who is also the Department of Human Settlements and Urban Development (DHSUD) Secretary, further presented that other initiatives are also underway including the Grand Mosque, Dansalan Bato Mosque, Grand Padian Market, additional 19 barangay complexes, Peace Memorial Park, Marawi Museum, School of Living Tradition, four-storey integrated school buildings, Central Fire Station, Traffic Command Center, road networks consisting of primary, secondary and tertiary roads with solar lamps and underground utilities, tourist police building, Sarimanok Sports Stadium, Convention Center, and Lake Lanao Promenade.

The city also anticipates the full refurbishment of the pumping bridge and installation of distribution lines in MAA, and the rise of Marawi City General Hospital and a halal slaughterhouse.

Earlier, Del Rosario announced that the rehabilitation is on schedule, beating its timeline with respective percentages of accomplishment.

“For all the public infrastructures na ginagawa natin, we are 75% to 80% complete and all the rest will be completed by next year. By December, we can say that 60% to 70% of all the projects na ipinapagawa natin at gagawin ay matatapos [we are making at will be making will be done] within the year while the rest, the 30% to 40%, will be completed by next year,” he said in an interview.

As such, the TFBM reiterated its promise that it shall carry on the rehabilitation until the city rises back on its feet again.

“The Task Force Bangon Marawi will continue its efforts per instruction of the President to ensure that the rehabilitation will be completed within the term of the President that would be June 30 of 2022 and we commit ourselves to really complete the rehabilitation of Marawi City by June 30,” said Del Rosario.

This month, with the continuing efforts of the national government through the TFBM and the local government together with their partners, the city will finally unveil the Grand Mosque  and 250 more permanent housing units will be turned over to the rightful beneficiaries. (CRG/PIA-Lanao del Sur)